Search This Blog

Mar 24, 2005

India, China, Asia and Me

There has a been a lot of June, June and June in here. And I am sure most of your are not as excited as I am about her. I mean its reached a point where it may be termed as "over exposure". So lets not discuss June, humanity, death and life etc. I"ll discuss politics.

Its one of my favourite topics and when free, is one of my favourite subjects after life. So I thought why not suffer you all to my worldview (atleast its much more holistic than my dear friend George Bush's and its harmless and a good timepass).

There has been a spate of articles on India, China and about the huge economic churnings in Asia in the Economist. They have touched upon these:
  • China's Godzilla like growth both on the economic and political front
  • India's slow yet steady progress which is only now reaching a brisk pace
  • Japan's unnoticed shift in its pacifist foreign policy
  • Comparisons about the pros and cons of China's and India's growth
  • Middle East realignments after George Bush orchestrated Irag war
  • And ofcourse on what many are terming as the Asian century
There was an article recently title China and the key to Asian peace. If any of you want to read the article I can share the my password. I have a problem with the aritcle. It talks about the Asian century and it doesnt even mention India. Here is what I wrote to them:
Sir,

China's inherent and acquired traits give it an unmatchable clout in Asia. But Asia is not about the Orient as your article makes us believe. It will be foolhardy to discuss about Asia without even touching upon India and even Iran. But its a recurrent problem even the Asians are led to think about the continent in four different blocs.

21st century will certainly belong to Asia. But the meaningfulness of it will depend on how China, Japan, India, and Iran engage within themselves, their respective region and with Europe and America.

There are apprehensions that Mr. Bush' s worldview, highly polarised and exclusive, will be a major impediment. As America increasingly looses its economic clout, as the wheels of history duly turn, the politics of the neo-conservatives will take centerstage. The key will be a truly pan-asian approach to measure up to this.

Only then will the Asian century be able to bridge the world.

Sincerely,
Kaushik Som
Pune, India
I doubt this will get published but I hope you all appreciate my concern....

2 comments:

anirban said...

As a member of G-4 states and a claim to UN's permanent Security Council member,India is certainly on the verge to become a power to reckon with,China or no China. But what makes this struggle for right more pronounced is the kind of Indian voices,such as yours and mine and so many others'.We can't afford to abandon our movement halfway.Kudos!

Anonymous said...

good good u changed ur template at last. my life has changed so much over the last 4 months, can't begin to explain. will write u and kancha a long mail some time soon- don't call, don't want to speak abt it.

--swati