Search This Blog

Dec 24, 2007

Kill Bill

Because of my penchant to avoid movies which are overtly violent I avoided Kill Bill for 3 long years.

Recently I watched the two volumes back to back and I was left gaping (No Opu, Kill Bill is not about two parts its one great movie). I also discovered that there are other discerning people with whom I should watch more movies and who will help me to reach to more good movies and there by reach my soul.

Kill Bill is about the end - the lioness getting reunited with her cub.

The Lion, who cared for no one but himself, kept the lioness away from her cub for 6 long years. I pondered why so much violence? It apparently looks overplayed. But how else one could show the vengeance inside the lioness?

I would not even try to do a critical appreciation of Kill Bill. I dont have half the intensity or the knowledge of cinema to try and do that. But I have my takeaways from Kill Bill which are very important for me.

Kill Bill points a finger at the failure of women to keep atleast one big secret to themselves. When women give themselves up to the man they love they do it in totality. Thats the biggest mistake they make. Because when it is necessary for them to hit back and assert they dont have any cards left to play. Beatrix kept the "5 point palm exploding heart" technique to herself.

Someone argued that Bill had his reasons to do what he did. I do not agree. Bill was a man too full of himself. Any such men are intoxicating but they are extremely dangerous. Their relationships are always flawed.

So was Bill's. His swordmaker broke an oath for life just to make a sword which would be good enough to kill him. His master refused to trust him with the five point technique. His own brother (the only man he ever loved) lied to him about his sword. And lastly Bill kept a mother away from her child for 6 long years all because of himself.

At one point when Bill is with his daughter making her a sandwich I wished he was not killed. The three could live happily ever after. But I think Beatrix was right in moving away from a life of violence for her daughter's sake. She recognized herself as a natural born killer even before Bill did. And thats why I think she was right in killing Bill.

So it was not about vengeance. She didnt kill Bill, she actually killed the killer in herself finally. And with that she buried her past to guarantee a future for her daughter.

Another thing. I am fascinated with Superman but I could never explain why I like Superman more than any other Superhero. Bill explained. Because "Superman didnt become Superman. Superman was born Superman." I wish I too was born a Superman.

Beatrix was a certainly born one. I wish all woman will be like Beatrix who could triumph on her man if that is practically more necessary. Beatrix had the guts to decide to walk away from the life she was so good at. Because she thought that life would not be the best for her child. A life of death.

For her that was just her profession. For Bill that was his life which allowed him to release his intensity and thereby release himself. He would never have been able to walk away from that and would have passed it to his progeny.

Lastly, Uma Thurman. I couldnt imagine anybody playing the part of Beatrix Kiddo. But it was interesting to think about who else (if Uma was never born) the role could have gone to. May be Monica Belluci, I am not sure. Ashley Judd?? Carrie-Anne Moss?? But certainly not Angelina Jolie. Anyone any other guess?? This is one reason no one will ever dare to remake this movie in Bollywood.

For me Kill Bill is a landmark watch. An experience which is going to shape the way I decide how to watch movies and what movies I watch from now on.

I end with this video about the lioness meeting her cub and my favourite song. I wish I am allowed to watch Kill Bill in the same circumstances again.



Sometimes violence is necessary, especially in love, life and securing the future.

12 comments:

Shuv said...

the answer to your question is:

glenn close
sigourney weaver

the 3 names u mentioned just proved how much more work your discerning co-watchers have got left in your cinematic education.

Shuv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kaushik said...

Shuv: Glenn Close.. Sigourney Weaver.. No!!Watch Kill Bill again in the right circumstances. U'll know what I am talking. Maybe Darryl Hannah..

Shuv said...

define 'right circumstance'

kaushik said...

Shuv: Right circumstances as in "right frame of mind". In this case an intense frame of mind.

Scout said...

kill bill was awesome. the division of the movie into chapters just touched me as a book lover. QT at his best.

Anonymous said...

kaushik: If you liked kill bill do watch SAW (orignal only dont go for part 2 or 3) and if you have become a tarantino fan like me please see HOSTEL. I really would like to read your views on these 2.Though killbill, saw and hostel are alltogether diffrent movies but the impact they leave is awesome.

kaushik said...

Vikas: Though in my latest post I have vowed not to be biased when deciding to see a movie I have a strong hunch that I wouldnt like SAW.

I liked Kill Bill because of the complexity of the characters it portrayed. It was a deep movie. I have been recommended FightClub as well. But am not sure about that. But may be I'll see SAW. And then I can tell if my hunch was right.

I have no reservations to watch "Hostel" though and I am putting it in my list of moview to catch up with.

kaushik said...

Scout: Thats the funniest reason I can think of to like Kill Bill.

Anonymous said...

Put saw above hostel in that list, i am sure you won't regret.

Anonymous said...

Kaushik,
I haven't watched Kill Bill but your blog is very good... Touching is the right word...

Shail

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing