Search This Blog

Dec 28, 2007

Chak De!


I saw Chak De!! Yes I did.

And I really liked the movie. For once I cannot explain why but I liked the movie. It was a brave movie and a well made one.

I liked Shahrukh. Yes I did. I admire the fact that he chose to come out of the mould. He was hamming alright and some other person could have done a better job alright. But I dont think any other person would have been able pull the crowds to this movie.
That was important. People should see such movies and more of these movies should be made. Without Shahrukh it would have been left in the dumps, in some corner in some multiplex.

So my hats off to him. It is the same Shahrukh whom I liked so much in Kabhi Ha Kabhi Na - a movie which sealed my love. He came to my rescue when I had no cards left in my chest. So Chak De! was like meeting a long lost friend. Both of us have moved on in life. Each on his own course. But without Kabhi Ha Kabhi Na I doubt I would have ever been able to marry my wife.

I also realised that life should not be about personal biases. Who cares who is doing what. One cannot close one's mind just because of some preconditions and some bad experiences. Thereby one would continue to close oneself to so many things one after the other.

One cannot have biases. Or one loses out.

Moviemaking is a creative medium and everyone has right to do what they want. I know Shahrukh will continue to make movies that will not be closer to my heart. But who cares. He has a right to do what he wants. And people have a right to enjoy what they want.

But I also hope he does more Chak De!s in future. So that I can enjoy as well.

And I promise not to stay away from any movies just because they have Shahrukh. I stayed away from Kill Bill because of the violence. It turned out to be one of the most expansive love tales that I have seen. I stayed away from Chak De! because it had Shahrukh and it turned out to such a super movie.

So thanks once again. Thats one less bias to deal with. One less baggage and a more freer mind.

6 comments:

Shuv said...

i hate to tell i told u so but i told u so.

kaushik said...

Shuv: Yes i remember you told me and I wish i could thank you. But post your No Entries days I am a trifle scared to take any movie viewing advice from u.

But the thanks was directed to you as well.

Mrinmoy said...

now i know the reason for the success. all your lectures of patawing a girl ended in sharukh-sharanam-gacchami. hmmm ...

bir2005 said...

Well enough of that. But the guys you should really look forward to watch this if you have not watched so far. One of my friend wrote accross me her thoughts who is lucky enough to view it on big screen and I managed to download and watch the same and have same opinion.

She says "If you want to know how good Taare Jameen par - the latest Aamir's masterpiece is, just go to your nearest theater and watch the people coming out after the show. The cacophony that surrounds a crowd exiting a theater will be missing. Some would be walking in slow motion. Some would look petrified. At least that's what happened in the theater I went to. Not a single soul was talking after the movie, probably because what everyone saw on screen was not fiction, but a semi-biography of his/her own life. In fact, the normally rowdiest gang in a theatre (ie my friends and I) that is uber vocal at the end of a film left the theater in pin drop silence. The first thing we said to each other - 'Aamir Bhai has done it again.'

Indeed, Aamir Khan had done it again. I have a gut feeling that Taare would change people like no other movie has previously done.

I know only Aamir can make a film like Taare.

I remember earlier this year SRK made a statement: 'films are for entertainment; messages are for post offices.' Well Aamir Khan has proved that cinema is probably the best medium for giving a message and I can say that looking at the face of every person in the cinema hall. Not only that, he has proved (yet again!) that a message can be entertaining.

Behold bollywood bigshots, Aamir the director has arrived. With just one film, he has set the bar higher than most of you can only dream of reaching."

kaushik said...

Ghetu: Did not understand what you were saying.

Bir: I have not watched TZP as of now so wouldnt be able to comment.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.