Search This Blog

Feb 15, 2006

Romance

Picture courtesy www.corriere.it


I tried searching by "Calcutta" on Google Images. This is the second image that comes up. Moves are afoot to make this mode of transportation extinct. Any body who has stayed in Calcutta for a decent period of time will verify that this is the only viable transport during rains. And the most romantic.

Anybody remmember a similar trip down a wet memory lane?

I will never forget the anglo indian school girl in a similar situation. She was in her school whites. Her rickshaw did not have the protection this one has. She was wet and appeared vulnerable. I vouch I saw her for some 30 odd seconds. But how did I know she was anglo indian? I did not know at that point of time. But after I heard Mr. Dutta. I was convinced it must have been another Mary Ann.

The wet coy Mary Anns are extinct long back. It will be the rickshaws next.

Today is Valentines Day but where is the romance?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valentine's Day is about the romantic as much as the romantic is about the Rickshaw. Both are an excuse for exploitation. One exploits the emotion of man and the other exploits the locomotion of man.

Its's fun to be the beneficiary in both cases.

And well, it doesn't seem very far when Valentine's Day is going to be declared a public holiday and the Rickshaw will be on declared a national heritage.

Shuv said...

rickshaw: never rode one..maybe next time i go to shanghai or hongkong...

valentines: never celebrated one...not even with my first girlfriend in my school days. maybe when i am 45 and desperate for teenage girls i will resort to celebrating valentines day..