Search This Blog

Nov 28, 2006

Going Go-Karting

The last time I went Go-Karting Opu promised never to accompany me. But then I had an excuse. I didnt know driving. Danske Bank employees go Go-Karting once in every month. And the person with the best time gets to keep a trophy for a month. And its not the best finisher but rather the one with the best lap time. And you get 15 laps to prove your mettle.

My team mate asked me if I would be interested. And since in Danmark, I have decided never to say no to anything new or relatively new. So I agreed. But the moment I reached the Go-Karting arena I knew I was in the wrong place.

As is their wont the Danes were all decked up - driving gears of all hue, the right shoes, firejackets and ofcourse matching crash helmets, gloves et al. I wore the smallest gear that was available in the race track.

My confused state of mind was all too apparent on my visage, otherwise why would a had huge middle aged Danish manager come up to me by himself and offer "a basic tip".

If someone wants to go past you let him go. Enjoy the race and dont worry about the time.

Fortunately I was at the end position when the race started. So I guessed there wouldnt be anybody honking behind my back till the first few laps. As the race began I was sure I was in the wrong place.

The first sharp bend and I was into the tyres. The alarm went off, everybody stopped and I thought I would be disqualified. But I was allowed to carry on after they retrieved my car.

4 laps down the line I wanted to quit the race but I didnt how. I carried on with people banging behind me. I could almost here some honking. My formal shoes were not allowing any grip on the accelerator (alteast I now have a reason for not finishing well).

15 laps looked an eternity. I was still trying to enjoy the race. But the car was controlling me, the other drivers whizzing past every now and then.

Among them there was this driver in the red who had gone past me twice before. And he was there again. And suddenly the moment of truth arrived. My Indian ego sparked and I decided not to enjoy the race anymore.

I would not allow him and pushed the pedal (inspite of the shoe). I did not allow him and the rest for the next 2 laps atleast but then my stamina gave up.

The race was finally over. Suddenly I felt that I had these two heavy iron arms. My entire torso was aching and for the first time after coming to Copenhagen I was perspiring profusely.

I didnt want to see my time. But my team mate and this middle aged man was keeping a watch. No it was not a Hollywoodish end - I didnt have the best lap time.

The best lap time was 35.32 secs. But what I saw was very interesting. I had presumably had the biggest gap between the fastest and slowest lap time in a single race. My slowest time was 48 secs or so and nobobyd was slower in a single lap. But my best lap was 38 something and there were people who had worse time than me.

I almost remembered by MA Part I and Part II scores. I am proud to be Gemini.

4 comments:

Shuv said...

saala india-r naam dubiye dili. i wish one of our call centre drivers was there in your place.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaushik,
visiting your blog after a very very long time, and I've most caught up with all that's been written. I'm not even sure if i've kept you in the loop ...of Aritro - our son that was born on the 26th of October(http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=pixeljoy&aid=576460762353308558&pid=&wtok=X.bnU6RekS3ahR3SVsPxqg--&ts=1165231796&.src=ph).
Overall I believe most parts of Europe are such excellent places ot visit. mm..leave no scandinavian stone unturned! BTW if getting to Sweden is that easy...i'd ask you to explore Ikea. I'm not sure if Ikea's available at Bangalore or not, but some spectacular designer stuff to feast your eyes on...stuff that most of us can afford, easy to pack and carry back, not very difficult to get customs clearance on etc.

Ciao.

Anonymous said...

Hey...one of our Indicab - call centre drivers in Copenhagen ;) !? Holger Danske might be shifting in his grave...

Shuv said...

eta porlam..amar work permit er byabostha kor.