Search This Blog

Oct 6, 2007

Alone yet not Lonely

Its too late I know but its never too late you know

I envied people who could live by themselves; live alone and be independant. No emotional dependance, a feature that I am seeing about life here in America and what I saw in Scandinavia. You are trained to do things by yourself. Make it out on your own.

So this time during my trip to San Francisco I finally have an opportunity to live alone in the truest sense. Good or bad is besides the point but fact of the matter is that it is important to be able to live alone by yourself when the time demands.

Transamerica

The company apartment that I have been given is an overkill. It is huge and right at the foot of the tallest building in San Francisco. It has a huge patio. If you stand on the 20th floor balcony on one side you see the bay (which I consider the extension of the Pacific) and on the other side is the financial district of San Francisco. And you have the whole of downtown San Francisco spanning out in front of you.

My Present Nest

Sometime the bigness of the place can be a burden but when I look at the numerous lighted window of the numerous building around it can be a great leveller.

View from my Balcony

I can spend hours standing at my balcony looking at the different facets of San Francisco. A city which has many layers of looks if you travel around the different neighbourhoods - the Italian North Beach, Russian Hill, Japan Town, the famous China Town, Pacific Heights dotted by the Victorian Bungalows and ofcourse you have the magnificient steel and glass financial center which makes for a stupendous skyline overlooking the bay.
Victorian Bungalows at Pacific Heights
The Skyline from the Sea

But slowly I am getting used to being on my own. Sometimes I dare say even enjoying it.

Walking down the Bay can never be lonely I realised. Watching all the fair girls with different kinds of hair, the skateboard youths, kids with pacifiers in their mouth, smart attired executive or the rap star look good for nothing holding their pants while they walk.

And sometimes I sight Michael Masley playing his cymbalom like a pied piper. I hear the saxophone strains of the guy who plays just outside Emarcadero station. I catch a glimpse of the Hurrican drummer playing his assortment of improvised drums.
Michael Masley - The Pied Piper
The Hurrican Tireless Drummer

At times "the man behind the bush" scares the shit out of me during many of my numerous strolls down Fisherman's Wharf. Most unique is the sight of the rat on top of the cat which is sitting atop a dog. Their friend and master saying to me if they can get along why cant "we".

So each passing day as I see these people it makes me feel that it is not so bad to be alone after all, to be on your own. Certainly not as scary as I thought it was.

Fisherman's Wharf

The Rat, the cat and the dog

11 comments:

Scout said...

alone not yet lonely... yes, it happens. its a snug feeling when u know there are people somewhere waiting for you... what about if u are alone with no one in the world giving a damn? i wonder...

kaushik said...

Scout: That can be nasty no one in the world giving a damn. But why would that be unless you have a major withdrawal syndrom? Dont you think?

Anonymous said...

dear kaushik...since u mention...strangely,the 'withdrawal syndrome' has been by far the commonest side effect of 'aloneness' in the western world...

if the mouse can live with a cat and a cat with a dog...why is it so difficult for humans to live with other humans..??..what is the requirement to detach yrself from everyone around you...how healthy is it..??

..there are different kinds of aloneness a human being can experience...but the one u r talking about here will finally lead a man to be a recluse leading to several neurotic disorders..

...eventually producing a lonely planet...in which we r now.

...its a nice post though..the photos r really nice..and thanx a lot for tolerating me bro...

Vikas said...

The panasonic is clicking allright you see, now you know i was joking about the camera. though i am not impressed by SF or any other US city for that matter but the post has inspired me to click some pictures of city i live in, which i suddenly realised i have not done for the past 1 and half year.

RIP: the mouse lives with cat and the cat with the dog because they are losers and they have compromised. That is how i look at it but many would look at it as a sign of love/frndship/peace etc. etc. but thats just my perspective.

kaushik said...

Vikas: Co-existence is not compromise. Co-existence is what civilization is all about. I differ with you on this regard.

RIP: I am honored by your peeks into my blog and your views whether I agree with you or not. So toleration doesnt come in the picture.

Anonymous said...

dear vikas....watch it...u r already headed towards the wrong direction..

... before also i've failed to understand your concept of a 'loser'..and i still hv no idea who is a 'winner' according to you..

...just a request..dont feed your ego so much...that after some time the whole world starts looking like a 'loser' to u...

....u mean , if the cat and the mouse and the dog spent 10 hrs a day chasing each other..they would be winners..?

...come on bro..this is no time to land up in an asylum...you hv such a nice life ahead...u know..

Vikas said...

Yes i am a egotist.
What i wanted to say earlier was that thr is a lion as well who doesnt have to be nice to the cats,mice or the dogs but everyone tries to be nice to him.

Shuv said...

now its my turn to post pics of gurgaon.

Anonymous said...

dear vikas....now i get your point..u want to become a 'bhai'..who goes around doing 'dadagiri' out of some fear rooted deep within..
...or may be.. he is simply jealous of the fact that how there are still so many nice people living happily in this world..without fingering each other..

..great bro..best of luck..!
..'kaabhibi tension deneka...leneka naahi..'

Vikas said...

RIP: I m not a dada have never been nor do i care about people to be jealous of them. I am just indifferent to many emotions exhibhited by humans, its strange i know but again i dont care.

Mrinmoy said...

lol ... rip is the conscience keeper here. i wonder how he is in real life. do you work in a PR firm Rip? such sweet words.

kaushikda, amazing shots. indeed your photos tell thousands of words.