Search This Blog

Jul 31, 2006

All About Happiness

On one thing I have beaten my legendary lack of keeping up with things. This is my 100th post and I am still keeping my fingers crossed. Murphy, please forgive me. But I am happy.

And what better way to publicise the Happiness Map of the World. Adrian White, from the UK's University of Leicester, used the responses of 80,000 people worldwide to map out subjective wellbeing.


Map created by Adrian White, Analytic Social Psychologist, University of Leicester (2006)Map and further analysis incorporates data published by UNESCO, the WHO, the New EconomicsFoundation, the Veenhoven Database, the Latinbarometer, the Afrobarometer, the CIA, and the UNHuman Development Report.

Happiness, prosperity and education are the three foremost determinants of any nation's happiness levels, the study says. So obviously countries with high GDP, good healthcare and access to good education came up trumps.

I do not have much background on this particular survey but you can test your own happiness here. Whats more you can find a veritable storehouse of articles on happiness at the same place.

I will not replicate all those information here and purport it to be mine. So all of you can read about it in the survey here and more.

Thanks BBC for keeping me alive & ofcourse relatively happy amidst all this outsourcing wave.

9 comments:

Shuv said...

well..beaten u to that century..completed mine last week.

kaushik said...

Wow! On 2 things you r great..

1. Because u beat me to the century in almost one third the time

2. You commented even while I was giving finishing touches.

In one of those rare moments of diplaying emotions I am saying "Thanks for being there"

Anonymous said...

well it is really heartening to see two confident intelectuals getting emotional over the 100th post in their blog!!! This itself proves that happiness cannot be defined, it can just arrive from anywhere,it is usually noticed somewhere outside the defined boundaries of our well-being.

ghetufool said...

what a befitting way to celebrate 100th post. congrats.

kaushik said...

Rip: "two confident intelectuals" I dont thats any apt definition of Shuv and me.. But this free speech zone

Ghetu: Next post please.. The last one on your blog was a ripper..

Shuv said...

the online test was extremely predictable and amateurish..if that was the basis for this exercise then i have grave doubts regarding the authenticity of the results

kaushik said...

I knew it would be coming.. Yes, I would agree that the test is extremely predictable (not amateurish though). But the survey is not based on that test. And both has no connection with each other.

And when did we start taking surveys seriously.

Shuv said...

since one came out saying mumbai is one of the rudest cities of the world..i was ecstatic with that one

ghetufool said...

have updated mine. just for the sake of you.