Search This Blog

Oct 25, 2006

The First Fortnight

It has been a fortnight in Copenhagen. Most of time was spent around the City Center, the town square, the pedestrian street and the new harbour.

Friday the 13th was culture night at Copenhagen. About 300 events were taking place simultaneously across the city. One had to buy a pass of 70 kroners and you could walk into any of those events. And with same pass you could avail any public transport to take you there.

Each year it gets organised by the government here. The city is awake till the wee hours of the morning. Roads are choc a bloc. But it was fun. I went to the Gyptotek and watched some modern dance. I also visited the Round Tower or the Observatory and did some stargazing.

And ofcourse I went to the Museum Erotica. Most of my colleagues were dissappointed by it. But since I quite like museum visits I liked this one as well. Museums help me to go back in time. They help you feel history, realtime. So you know what I mean. But more of Museum Erotica later.

This post is supposed to summarise my first fortnight. I was initially staying in Cab Inn City. It is a very good budget hotel located at the heart of the city. Its a complete service hotel where you need to carry your bags and make your own coffee. Pretty business like and they do not compromise of cleanliness and professionalism.

But a week down the line we moved into an apartment in Fredriksberg. It belongs to Jim, a project manager in Danske. The apartment is functional. There is no TV or Internet, so I am already half into my first book. Its an excellent neighbourhood. But all neighbourhoods in Copenhagen are like that.

Office days are usually routine. The 10 minute walk to the Fasanvej metro station starts at 7:20 am. Till about 8 am it is still pretty dark. And it is getting darker still. Metros run every 2 minutes. So it doesnt take much to reach the Flintholm Street station. From there Bus no. 142 takes me to Ejby Industrivej. Thats where my client Danske Bank is located.

The lunch at Danske is a delight. For people like me who kind of search around for continental food in Indian cities it could not get much better. But details of the same again in a seperate post.
People in Copenhagen work for 37 hours a week. So you start by 8:00 am and pretty much finish by 4:30 pm. In weekends the office is empty by 3 pm.

On my way back home I usually go to one of the many malls around trying to check out the stuff. It is a stressful exercise. Because each time you look at the article you multiply its price by 7 or 8 and then try and find its weight.

Back at the apartment we usually cook. I must say till now we have never been able to get the rice right. Usually its getting overcooked. At most times office follow me at home since my room mates are from ITC. So after rounds of PNPCs its back to bed with a book.

Thats a weekday at Copenhagen for me....

No comments: