Search This Blog

Jun 22, 2007

Mayawati & the Makad Manav

Do you guys see the link?

It made my gut wrench when I saw Toby Maguire say "Hum Makar Manav Hain, Ud kar aayab aur tohar tetua daba deb". But why I thought? Maybe my urbanite snobbery is raising its sinister head once again.

Hollywood has finally decided to woo India. The India that 'we' do not know or claim to belong. The aam admi's India. And Makad Manav is a super hit in Bihar and the cow belt.

I dont like Mayawati but she has won in UP hands down. It is the people who voted for her. People who feel left out. People who we feel are uneducated and foolish. People who make 70% of India.

People who feel that the likes of Mayawati is their best bet to rebel against 'us'.

I am convinced it is not about caste or religion anymore. It is about feeling of being denied and left behind. The way India is progressing just doesnt make sense. A growth with so much inequity doesnt look sustainable. Are we sitting on a time bomb waiting to explode?

Each day when I wait at the traffic post I cannot look straight in the eye of the beggar with a kid in tow. I never ever give a penny with the excuse 'Why doesnt she work?'. But each day she looks at my privileges and casts a sinister eye.

So where do we stand? Is the government solely to be blamed? Maybe yes. But that means there is no solution. So can we make a difference. If Ghetu's recent post is analysed I think we can.

So what the heck if Toby Maguire woos Kirsten Dunst by saying "Tum to Muzzaffarpur ki litchi ki tarah dikhti ho". Ain't the other India deserves to woo and see and live.

15 comments:

Gypsy said...

I think its about time we the so-called intellectual sensitive middle class indians stop being snobs!
Btw this reminds me of the only hindi-dubbed hollywood movie I saw - Jurassic Park's "dekho!! badi chipkalii!" was waaaaaay better than the english one! :-)

ghetufool said...

lol, the chap who wrote this news for our company (in fact he broke the news) was all grins and proud when i complemented him for this 'spidey'.

Scout said...

lol.. lovely dialogues :) and we all are snobs, whether we admit it or not.

Shuv said...

so are u saying that in the indian vernacular those are the best words available to describe a threat or a compliment? have assumed that the dubbing script is deliberately so to cater to the lowest common denominator, as if UP-ites will not understand a well written script? can't it just be some arseholes sitting and churning out crap in some dubbing studio? were'nt the fabulous hindi movies of the 60-s and 70-s hits in 'bihar and cow belts' too?

ghetufool said...

shuv is right. absolutely right. this is ridiculous and deliberate insult to the cow belt.

kaushik said...

Shuv: Your arguments are on a different plane. The quality of script writing. I am not qualified to comment on that. What I attempted to say was that Hollywood has also woken up to the other India and its time many of us including me do the same.

As for scriptwriting. I dont think is a bad example anyways. May be we dont get the naunces of it. May be it is written purposely that way. May be you have a point though.

Shuv said...

just watch some amitabh flicks of the 70-s and u will know how sexy 'ganga kinaar bhasha' can sound if written and delivered well.

on the topic of dubbing..ever watched nat geo in hindi?

S said...

liked ur post and agreed with u for a change! but muzzaffarpur ke litchi kirsten dunst se bahut meethe hai bhai! :)

kaushik said...

Shuv: I dont immediately recollect watching NatGeo in Hindi but I do get a sense of what you feel.

I lifted one or 2 lines from what I got. But neither of havent watched the Bhojpuri version. So we cant say.

Sayantani: Nice to hear from you. I dont mind you disagreeing because if you start agreeing to what i think we will have less and less comments from you on this blog. Right.

As for Kirsten Dunst. You right. She is too bony, dry and matter of fact. Sherlyn Chopra is better.

Shuv said...

who is sherlyn chopra? and kirsten is not dry..at least where it counts. trust me on this.

kaushik said...

Shuv: U dunno Sherlyn Chopra - the Bikini & Bindi Babe.. Too bad. Check her out.

Statutory warning: If dont like Mamta Kulkarni, Nagma, Mallika Sherwat or Katy Mirza then you should not tread this path.

On Kristen Dunst wetness I rather take the discussion offline.

Shuv said...

i have fallen in love with sherlyn chopra

ghetufool said...

notun post??

kaushik said...

Ghetu: Up there..

rohit said...

kako