Search This Blog

Jun 16, 2009

Happy Birthday June!

June turns five today. A milestone, which I will miss. It's a strange feeling to be away from her birthday celebrations. So I take the liberty of getting a bit emotional.

A lot has happened in five years. I have changed three jobs, been away from home three times, seen my income grow threefold and most importantly, my marriage evolving each day and meandering through the challenges of time.

All of these five years, however, I have enjoyed watching June in her moments of growth. Each of those instances have been my moments of truth. I feel a step closer, as I etch those moments in my mind.

From her blank expressions, to her first responses to light and sound. From her motionless throwing of her legs, to her first turns on the bed. From her complete disinterest in walking, to my frantic chase behind her so that I could prevent her from running away in a crowded place.

In the interim she has changed three schools, and we have changed four homes. Her refusal to talk has now given way to non-stop blabber.

I was skimming through all her photographs today. Her first shot, the eyebrows cringed, in the hospital. I compared it with the most recent photograph, where she is looking into the camera, with an expression of naughtiness, almost talking to the camera.

Each day I look at her, I thank Mun, for forcing me into parenthood. It has been five memorable years right from the first moment when I was unable to figure out if the baby in the nurse's arms was a he or a she.

At that moment, when I held her in my arms, I was filled up with a sense of ownership. A connection which is not umbilical but deep and without description.

I hope life continues as it has and we as a family can stay rooted, to each other and to reality. Happy birthday June! You remind me of the need to have faith in life.

June's first photograph

1 comment:

ghetufool said...

Happy Birthday June! (Ok I am a bit late, but your Dad didn't tell us about your birthday)