Search This Blog

Jun 27, 2009

Two Bright Spots

I read the TOI, epaper, today. As much as I deride it, I still cannot live without it. It helps me keep in touch with home but rarely gives me a moment of despair from being away from home.

However, two news stories touched my heart today - Kapil Sibal and Nandan Nilekani.

Kapil Sibal's education reform agenda will finally put education at the center of our national agenda. It will also enable HRD ministry to move away from the being a political tool of social mobilization.

Sibal's proposals are bold. I do not claim to have the expertise to judge them, however, the single school board plan definitely makes a lot of common sense. Having faced the wrong side of the sword, I know how easy my life would have been if this was in place during my schooling.

The second news about Nilekani heading the Unique Identification (UID) project is even more exciting. I recently got exposed to the US Social Security concept. I am also in awe of how the Scandinavian countries walk the talk when they call themselves a welfare state.

I have a hunch (since I do not have much knowledge of the scope of the UID project) that, if implemented successfully, the UID project will go a long way in stabilizing immigration and plug the leak in our social spending.

I need more such news stories to uncover the gloom.

No comments: