Search This Blog

Oct 31, 2006

Sweden

Nordic Windmill

Øresund Bridge


St Peter's Church

St. Peter's Church


Malmo Park

Malmo Park

Øresund Bride

Øresund From Top



Malmo Castle

Malmo Castle

Nordic Windmill

The Nordic Windmill

Nordic Windmill

Turning Torso - Sweden's Tallest Building

I travelled across the Øresund Bridge on Saturday to go to Sweden. Malmo, the nearest Swedish town is beautifully small. For someone like me who has come from a behemothic country with those big gargantuan cities, Malmo is quite a revelation. It is small, it is extremely modern and absolutely deserted.

But first about this bridge to Scandinavia. Øresund bridge is the long desired connection between Denmark and its other Nordic brethrens which was opened a couple of years back. It has a kind of two layered design - 2 rail tracks below and a four lane road on the top. It is possibly (again not sure but Wiki atleast says so) the longest combined road and rail bridge in Europe and zooms straight into and across the Øresund strait.

When it comes to the suspension part of it Kolkata's Vidyasagar Setu will give it strong competition. Infact the cable stayed part of it may be shorter than the Vidyasagar setu and much less spectacular. But when my Greyhound bus zoomed into the 4 km long undersea tunnel and zoomed out onto the bridge I knew what was special about this bridge.

Compared to the Øresund bridge Malmo would appear very staid. But this small town boasts of its own little walking street and hosts Sweden's tallest building. Aptly called the Turning Torso this building takes a 90 degree swirl as shoots up into the sky.

Unlike Copenhagen, Malmo is peppered with Indian restaurants. Either the Indian presence in Malmo is more or the Swedish have a tongue for our spices. But I have vowed not to visit an Indian restaurant when I am out of India. I am trying to make the most of it by eating as much non-Indian as possible. That does not mean I dont like Indian food but this is my time to savour non Indian delicacies.

Malmo is so small you can pretty much walk around the city in a day. And thats exactly what I did. While on our way to the Central Staion we stopped by at the St. Peter's Church. Who is this St. Peters. How come most cities have a church in his name? Like any other magnificent church this one too stands out like a majestic old man who gets better with age but never quite dies.

At the onset I had decided not to focus on the shopping street but rather see the other side of Malmo. The more of history I can get the more it helps me to realize the significance of my time. So we went straight to Kungsparken & Slottsparken - the green manicured expanse just adjoining the Malmo Castle. The highlight here was the Slottsmöllan or the Windmill. This one has been preserved from the Nordic times. And it is quite a sight.

The Technology museum is a stone's throw away from the Malmo Castle. They have a World War II submarine - U31. You can go into it and get an idea of the life inside a submarine. I checked out the kitchen and the toilet (pics to be uploaded later). Most interesting were the old motor cycles, cars, marine equipments, rail engines, torpedos and what not. Works of geniuses who were always ahead of their time but are now caged inside a museum. 3 hours flew by and we were not reading much since it was all in Swedish.

Next stop was the Malmo Castle, the highlight of my Malmo trip. A modern musuem housed inside an ancient castle, happily coexisting, each enhancing the others charm. It houses a make-believe dungeon, slaughter house with sound effects et al. It also houses an aquarium, a reptile museum and ofcourse a modern art gallery. I lingered on till I was driven away at 4 pm.

It was raining outside and it was cold. We did not have too much protection. So it was time to return home to Copenhagen and temporal reality. So back we were by the same Greyhound across the Øresund again.

My only regret - I did not buy a Sweden Tshirt for June. I was too much into the conversion game. But I have learnt my lesson and have vowed not to repeat the act. Bloody Indians.


P.S. I do not have a camera with me on my trip. That is making the trip more mystical you see. Till now I was happily dependent on my colleague's camera and the arrangment was fine. The gem of a person that Anand is, he has forgotten to bring his card reader. So his camera is done for the trip and there is no way I can upload the photos till I am in India. So all photos that you see are placeholders taken from various sites to give an idea of where I went. The same, I hope, will be replaced by the ones taken by me. I am sure all this is driving me closer to my long awaited digital camera.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you are planning to buy one, i would recommend (within limited budget, bla bla), the canon S3-IS. I have a similar one, which is the Canon S2-IS.

kaushik said...

what do u mean when us limited budget.. what is the cost you are talking of??

Shuv said...

buy one from ebay

ghetufool said...

i was going to write about your photos.
then i came to this P.S. "I do not have a camera with me on my trip. That is making the trip more mystical you see."

the most foolish quote i have ever read!

Anonymous said...

dear ghetufool, sorry to interfere but i feel what kaushik has said has lot of sense (or should i say 'sensitivity') in it.

most of the times when we remain busy trying to capture moments thru the cam,we actually become a 'passive' viewer never really getting the chance of enjoying the locations with our own eyes,
and finally all we r left with is a 'second hand memory'gifted to us by our very own handy cams!

its just a matter of depending more on your own senses rather than an electronic eye.(the camera cannot capture the smell of the place you know!)

kaushik said...

Hi ghetu, first i dont mind the tags like foolish, ignorant or anything similar. But I think Rip has very rightly explained it.

If you have camera you become a tourist.. if you dont have one you become a traveller. You savour every moment, and use you minds eye to capture for later relations.

The pictures that I used is for my wife to be able to understand where I was till I am there physically to draw the pictures myself..

ghetufool said...

chill chill. i was just trying to pass on a bad joke.

i understand what you and rip said. i agree with it too.

ghetufool said...

also, i don't know about Rip but you are definitely one of my favourite blogger. never tried to insult you. just a friendly...you know what.

kaushik said...

arrey yaar.. a friendly banter once in a while is not bad you see..

Anonymous said...

WHERE ARE THE DANISH BABES??

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.