Search This Blog

Nov 17, 2006

Run around Danmark

The Frederiksberg Garden (ignore the man in the picture)

Last weekend I was running around the Damhus Sø. Sø is a lake in Danish. The 'Ø' is special about the nordic languages. It more 'oo' than 'o',a little touch and go, like most other sounds here. And my Danish keyboard helps me type that.

Usually I cannot run for more than 2km at a stretch. But the 4 km run around the lake doesnt seem like a strain. It is a beautiful big lake. Its treelined walkway is now completely autumned with dry leaves of different hues. And you can enjoy the ducks and the swans (not the taste but rather the sight) as you run around.

Even in this cold many parents would be out early morning with their babies in toe. Couples would cycle around. On most weekends it will be common to find many Danes out on the roads. And whatever they do they are completely decked up. So if they are running they would be in their complete jogging gears.

So on any weekend you would find many running around the streets, the lakes and the parks of Copenhagen. And unlike in India you will find almost an equal number of women.

But I guess it has something to do with the surroundings. If its so picturesque I guess even folks in India would be out on the roads.

My earlier apartment in Frederiksberg - an upmarket locale in Copenhagen, used to be near to the Frederiksberg Garden. The garden, which houses the Frederiksberg Castle and overlooks the Copenhagen Zoo, is straight out from a picture postcard.

And it used to be another beautiful run inside the garden. So I do not blame folks in India. We have our Cubbon Park, the Gorer math or the Marine Drive. And I have seen some enthusiastic folks out there as well.

No comments: