Search This Blog

Feb 17, 2007

Donor 150 & Eklavya

Just as I was about to suggest that my Donor 150 could be the material for an amazing script I saw Eklavya. Vidhu Vinod Chopra has done exactly that.

He has put the concept in an Indian context amidst Rajas & Maharaja story of Rajasthan. It is more interesting because in case of Donor 150 procreation was external & modern. Eklavya's case is more complex as it requires the Maharani & the handsome manly royal gaurd to bed.

Eklavya gave me a funny feeling. I could feel it was a good movie. I marvelled at its awesome canvas. Each frame was like a painting. I was impressed by the performance of all except Vidya Balan. But it made me feel incomplete.

It felt Shakespearean but it had a Bollywoodish happy ending (unlike Omkara). It had an awesome plot and was just 1 hr 45 minutes but it didnt feel tight.

I asked myself if Pather Panchali was made in Hindi and released today in one of these multiplexes. Would the audience has the sensibility to appreciate it. May be yes, may be not. I dont really know. Would I have appreciated seeing it on Friday night in as crass a multiplex as Innovative? May be not.

I guess Vidhu Vinod Chopra has made so much money out of Munna Bhai he is entitled to make a film for himself. But is he happy? I dont think so.

9 comments:

Shuv said...

u bloody arsehole!! u gave away the fucking ending (if what i am thinking is correct)..

kaushik said...

The "fucking" ending (it is actually about "fucking") is not the ending. It is the base of the whole story which even Chopraji gives away very early in the film..

Scout said...

hey u know what i dont really get what u are trying to say... i mean i think i would enjoy pathar panchali even in an innovative-like place... and u liked eklavya right? so why the negativity??

anyway i really want to see the movie now :)

kaushik said...

Well, thats exactly what I asked myself. Did I like Eklavya?? May be yes but I guess Vishal Bhardawaj has done a better job with Omkara than Vidhu Vinod Chopar with Eklavya. Both are dark comedies. But obviously Vishal had a lot more to work with. Chopra started from scratch.

But I never had to ask myself that question after watching Omkara. I just liked it. Period.

With Eklavya I appreciate the idea and the effort. But I think it could have been much better. The plot is marvellous but the narrative is where I think it slackens.

Foremost among anything a movie has to be tight. But whilst the movie is running if you start focusing on the cinema hall interior etc then I think there is something wrong somewhere...

See it. If you have a discerning mind you will know what I am trying to say.

I like Vidhu Vinod Chopra. Inspite of Adi Chopras and KJo's audacious people like him still survive and make money.

Shuv said...

what's with film critics and happy endings? why does a happy ending automatically disqualify a movie as being a classic? i read a similar review about 'Scent of a woman' that said that 'were it not for the overly optimistic ending the movie would have been a hollywood classic'..whats wrong with some optimism?

kaushik said...

Unlike Parineeta's case which was a bad happy ending, the problem here is not with the happy part of the ending.

Its the way the movie ends. In a hurry. Suddenly Chopraji thought he had something else to do so he wrapped up the film.

Watch the movie and you will know what I mean.

Shuv said...

i somehow cant stand mr a b these days..let me see if i can screw up the courage for chopra's sake

Scout said...

will see the movie. i think i will get what you are trying to say, kaushik, eventually :)

Shuv said...

saw it over the weekend. liked it..but the ending was not bollywoodish..it was ridiculous.